0

Comments

Facebook

Twitter

Google

send


NOW

Conflicting claims on Qassem "hit"

Russia Today on Wednesday cited Hezbollah sources as denying rebel claims that party deputy chief Naim Qassem had been seriously injured or killed in an attack on a convoy Tuesday in Syria.

 

Syria rebels had posted on Twitter that Qassem had been targeted in an attack on a convoy that killed Syrian regime general Mohammad Ali Durgham.

 

However, Hezbollah sources told Russia Today that they expect party leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah would tackle the "false rumors" in the speech he is set to give Wednesday evening.

 

The same sources also stressed that some media outlets as well as social networks were recently trying to release false statements in an attempt to implicate Hezbollah in the Syrian crisis.

 

Meanwhile, Free Syrian Army spokesperson Louay Almokdad told NOW that the rebels do not have enough information on the Jdeidat Yabous explosion, in reference to an attack that purportedly hit a convoy of high ranking Syrian and Hezbollah officials Tuesday.

A rebel group had said in a statement that they attacked a convoy transporting Syrian general Mohammad Ali Durgham, injuring the officer and killing a number of Hezbollah members.

The rebels also uploaded a video showing an IED detonation amid a series of cars driving on a winding road.

Lebanese media reports on Tuesday reported that an explosion had went off in the Jdeidet Yabous area near the Lebanese-Syrian border, but added that the circumstances of the blast remained unclear.

A Lebanese source told NOW that the blast that purportedly targeted the convoy took place in the town of Artouz south of Damascus, without providing any further details.

 

Hezbollah's Al-Manar television announced Wednesday morning that party leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah will give a televised address later in the day.

Last week, the FSA issued a statement Hezbollah an ultimatum to stop its alleged attacks against rebel positions in the Homs province, after which the rebels announced the start of a military campaign against the Lebanese party.

Earlier in February reports emerged that three Lebanese Shiites were killed in clashes in Syria, as the opposition accused the militant group Hezbollah of fighting alongside its regime allies.

Syria rebels had posted that Naim Qassem had been targeted in an attack