Hezbollah has announced that its ranks are now on full alert in eight overlapping Lebanese-Syrian border towns following an attack that was carried out by Syria’s Al-Nusra Front against a Hezbollah patrol.
“Hezbollah had reached an agreement with the Free Syrian Army by means of direct talks to keep these towns away from the ongoing conflict in Syria,” Lebanese sources told Turkish Anadolu news agency on Wednesday.
The sources also said that “thirteen Al-Nusra Front members attacked a Hezbollah patrol in the Lebanese southern town of Zeeta which led to the death of three of the Shiite group’s members.”
“Hezbollah had previously placed a number of cannons and missiles in [Syria’s southern] towns, these armaments have been there since before the uprising began in Syria,” they added.
Earlier Wednesday, an FSA official in Homs called on residents of two predominantly Sunni Lebanese towns to “threaten and impede” Hezbollah's alleged military activities in Syria's Homs province.
The FSA on Tuesday also released a statement giving Hezbollah 48 hours to cease attacks in Syria before it “retaliates” in Lebanon.
Further allegations of Hezbollah being actively involved in the Syrian crisis came from another FSA official who on Tuesday told NOW that Hezbollah will carry out additional military operations within Syria over the course of the next few upcoming days.
A Free Syrian Army spokesperson on Sunday told NOW that Hezbollah had been shelling several Syrian areas in an effort to force back the rebels, and claimed the Shiite party was now stationed in at least five Syrian towns.
The Syrian crisis has split Lebanon’s political scene between pro-Syrian regime parties affiliated with the March 8 alliance – spearheaded by Hezbollah – and parties associated with the March 14 coalition who are backing the rebels.