People always think that one person can't make a difference. But that isn’t true. For instance, this year in Lebanon people cooperated with each other and proved that, together, they can actually make a difference. It is not only about the refugees; it’s about being away from home, in the cold, devastated and alone. It’s about the help that we can offer them.
Living in a tent might sound simple and at least it means that you are alive, right? NO! Being alive is never enough when your health is neglected, the education of your kids is forgotten, and when you are cold and waiting for other people to support you.
It never gets easier.
These Syrians, who became refugees as a result of the Syrian uprising and the ongoing war, used to own houses, drive cars and hold celebrations in their backyards. Their kids used to attend schools and universities, while others learned how to draw or play the piano: basically, they had a life. They were forced to leave behind the ONE place that they called HOME. And now it’s all gone. Now, they are refugees that are treated as unwelcomed guests; guests that were forced to take refuge in another country just to stay safe; guests whose only other alternative would be to take a risk and return to a war zone and hope to stay alive.
However, instead of sitting around doing nothing, I decided to do something about it, and so should you. Here’s what’s happening this week, here’s how you can contribute:
We all like concerts right? How about a concert for a cause?
• TONIGHT! Zeid & The Wings is collaborating with “I AM NOT A TOURIST" brings you a fun night of good music “Instead of paying for a entrance fee, you can donate 12 $ for a blanket, get a blanket yourself, or any winter clothing item from your close!”
* All contributions will go to SAWA for Syria who will be distributing to the refugee camps in the North and across Lebanon.
And another concert:
• The FIREWOOD concert: "[Sawa4Syria] cordially invites you to its fundraising concert “Firewood,” all proceeds collected will be used to buy heaters and petrol supplies for Syrian Refugees in the Beq’aa living in dire conditions.”
A follow-up to previous events and trips:
• Lebanese for the Syrian refugees are organizing yet another convoy to Aarsal/Bekaa.
“URGENT CALL: If you are a doctor or a medical student and you would like to help, we are organizing a medical convoy to Arsal this weekend to check the women and children at the camps.”
And lastly, a fundraiser!
• Fundraiser taking place in Beirut this Friday shared by Basmeh & Zeintooneh ‘s facebook page.
Yalla, the week is packed with events, how will you contribute this time?
Follow the author on Twitter @LunaSafwan.