March 14 MP Boutros Harb told Voice of Lebanon (100.5) radio on Saturday that he does support President Michel Sleiman’s call to hold national dialogue sessions but only if they address the issue of non-state arms, referring to the weapons of Hezbollah.
He commented on the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) indictment, saying it would be better for Hezbollah to avoid a “tense atmosphere” and hand in the four members indicted in the 2005 killing of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.
Harb also said that the March 8 coalition will pressure the cabinet to transfer the file on witnesses who gave unreliable testimonies to the international commission probing the murder of Hariri to the Justice Council, adding that such a move is illegal.
The MP added that Prime Minister Najib Mikati’s cabinet cannot but implement Hezbollah’s orders because it cannot reject what the Shia group “imposes” on it.
The STL indicted four members of the Iranian-and Syrian-backed Hezbollah in connection to the Hariri assassination, but Hezbollah Secretary General Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah has ruled out their arrest.
Before bringing down Saad Hariri’s cabinet in January, Hezbollah had been pressing him to disavow the STL, and insisted that the cabinet resolve the controversy over witnesses who gave false testimony to the international investigation in Rafik Hariri’s murder.